iHeartDogs is reader-supported. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you.
The Best Beds For Senior Dogs
Just like people, dogs develop joint and muscle issues as they age. Having a comfortable, soothing bed can help ease some of those daily aches and pains.
Obviously, there are a million and one dog beds for sale out there, so choosing the right bed for your older dog can be a real challenge. Here are some things to consider when searching for the perfect bed for your senior dog.
- Orthopedic Memory Foam: Memory foam is the ideal bedding material for dogs with achy joints who need extra support. It helps ease the pain and the stiffness, making it easier for old dogs to get up again. Typically, quality orthopedic dog beds consist of a memory foam layer on top of a supportive foam layer.
- Durability: Some dogs can be more destructive than others. The best beds are multi-layered and built with sturdy material so your dog can’t rip out the essential foam inside.
- Size: A larger dog should sleep in a bed designed for larger dogs and vice versa. This will ensure all their pressure points are properly soothed.
- Washability: If your aging dog becomes incontinent, it can make your house stinky. Many of the best beds come with removable waterproof liners you can easily wash if they get peed on or worse.
- Cooling Or Warming Technology: While not essential in a bed, cooling gel or electric warming might help soothe some of your aging dog’s pains.
With all those things in mind, here are iHeartDogs.com’s picks for the 8 best beds for senior dogs.
Best Bed For Arthritic Dogs
The Kopeks Orthopedic Pillow Dog Bed is made of 100% orthopedic-grade, hypoallergenic memory foam, just like in high-end mattresses. This bed also comes with a waterproof liner for those drooly dogs or seniors with incontinence.
Best Bed For Large Senior Dogs
The Big Barker is made especially for larger dogs. With 7″ of foam support, the Big Barker Pillow Top Bed even proved its ability to reduce joint pain and improve mobility in a clinical study. This bed does skew on the pricier side, but it’s a worthwhile investment for your dog.
Best Bed For Small Senior Dogs
The older your dog gets, the less they’re willing to climb to go to sleep. Smaller beds by The Dog’s Bed contain just 2 inches of orthopedic memory foam on top of a 2″ base of high stability support foam. Removable covers are easy to wash and make The Dog’s Bed Orthopedic Dog Bed look more fashionable.
Best Orthopedic Bed For Crates
If you’d prefer to keep your dog’s bedding inside of their crate, the Milliard Quilted Padded Orthopedic Dog Bed is the right size and shape for most standard crates. It comes in three sizes: 35 x 22″, 42 x 27″, and 47″ x 29″. The cover unzips so you can take it off and throw it right in the washing machine.
Best Cooling Bed
In addition to the SEALY Lux Pet Dog Bed’s cooling energy gel that helps soothe achy joints, this bed is built with a pro-charcoal base to absorb odors. The cooling gel cradles all your dog’s key pressure points, which is one thing that makes this bed stand out.
Best Warming Bed
The sidewalls of the K&H Heated Thermo-Snuggly Sleeper are designed for cuddlers, offering support and soothing warmth all around. The low-wattage heater is energy-efficient and certified safe for your pup.
Most Stylish Senior Dog Bed
Let’s face it – dog beds don’t make for the most attractive pieces of furniture. The Puprug Faux Fur Memory Foam Bed looks classy and offers memory foam comfort for your dog.
Best Reviewed Bed For Senior Dogs
Furhaven makes several orthopedic beds, but this one with cooling gel and memory foam has the most positive user reviews. Out of 75, 321 reviews for the Furhaven Orthopedic, Cooling Gel, and Memory Foam Two-Tone L Chaise, 76% were 5-star reviews. On Chewy, the Two-Tone Chaise has 60% 5-star reviews. So, if you don’t trust me, maybe you’ll take the words of thousands of real customers.
If you’re still not sure what kind of bed is right for your senior dog, check out some tips for choosing the best bed for your senior dog. You can also learn more about orthopedic dog beds and how they help your senior pup. Ask your veterinarian for their expert and personalized advice on whether a cooling bed, warming bed, cuddler, or flat bed is best.